The Urban Living Lab Playground
The Urban Living Lab Playground game is a spontaneous outcome of UNaLab. As the project and the co-creation activities moved on, we realised that the fundamentals of Urban Living Labs and their role in a city affected by a climate related challenge were not fully understood. This is why we decided to design a game, to share the cornerstones of the Urban Living Lab activities - how it functions; who are the staff members working there; what co-creation tools can be used to engage citizens, etc.
Ultimately, participants will learn how an Urban Living Lab functions and how it can bring in city stakeholders together to fight a given climate challenge. The gamified approach aids creative thinking and helps challenge solvers to look at the problem from a different perspective/with a fresh set of eyes. By bringing together a diverse mix of participants, the game helps to break down barriers of communication through a storytelling approach.
The game facilitates learning of different elements in an Urban Living Lab , through specific cards.
By playing the game the participants learn:
1. What an Urban Living Lab is and how it functions in a simulated real-life environment.
2. How a city can employ an Urban Living Lab to connect with the quadruple helix stakeholders, including citizens.
3. Wide range of co-creation tools and methods that can be used to work together with the citizens.
4. How co-creation works when addressing complex urban challenges and developing nature-based solutions.
5. How the gamified approach can facilitate shared understanding and storytelling.