The 7th UNaLab Buddy System webinar was dedicated to circular water systems, water retention and reuse. It was a public event and included two main contributions:
Reuse and in-situ treatment of grey waters
Fabio Masi, Ph.D. Env.Sci., Environmental Chemist Technical Director - R&D Manager, IRIDRA Srl
- Insights into successful case studies, such as the installations in the Serengeti National Park (Tanzania) and Beach Resort Marina of Ragusa (Italy).
Rainparks – landscape for rainwater management
Andrea Balestrini, Landscape Planner – Head of LAND research Lab, LAND
- Brief overview of water sensitive design principles with a focus on specific case studies, such as the Rainpark in Paderno Dugnano (Milan) and the Infiltration Park in Arcore (Monza Brianza).
During the webinar, a range of topics were explored thanks to the contributions of the speakers and the fruitful exchange of questions and answers with the participants. The main points of discussion were:
- global strategies related to the water cycle in the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the green-blue infrastructure approach in the EU Adaptation Strategy
- smart circular city of the future
- NBS used for water treatment and integration of water supply, recycling and harvesting grey waters, such as roof installations and green walls
- problems related to salts and chemicals in the grey waters for watering plants
- main challenges and barriers towards the implementation of NBS in cities' masterplans
- water sensitive and adpative design
- selection criteria for the choice of location when designing rainparks in cities
- tips and suggestions for the successful design and installation of NBS in cities
You can find the webinar video recording here.